Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Years Snow!

We had a green Christmas up in Chautuauqua County, NY.  Christmas morning there wasn't a cloud in the sky actually, and it seemed a bit weird to me!  We came back to Maryland on the 26th for the work week and then went back home for New Years weekend.  We had nothing much planned for New Years (we're not really into going out) so it seemed like we should take advantage of the 4 day weekend and spend some more time with our families.  In years past, we've stayed home that entire week.  We usually end up with some big snow system that hits New Years Eve and/or Day and we have a heck of a time getting out of the area to return to work in the new year.  Turns out this year was no different.

Oh Sunday (New Years Day) they started talking about a big Lake Affect snowstorm coming.  Each and every time this year that they've talked about snow coming, it ends up being nothing, so when Jonathan asked if we should leave a day early, I looked over weather.com on my iPad closely and thought, no it just seemed silly to try and beat a storm that might end up not coming at all!

Here's my parents backyard on Sunday afternoon as the snow clouds started coming in


Around 7 pm the freezing rain/snow started a bit, but just enough for a dusting on the ground before it stopped.  My mom said she woke up around 2 a.m. and looked out and you could still see grass.  I woke up at 6 and while I laid under the blankets staying warm, I heard the snow plow go by not once, but twice.  I got up and found this


They finally got snow!  Here are the "after" shots of the backyard


and here's Dad cleaning out the driveway for Mom to get to work and me to get out at all!


From Panama, Jonathan and I headed out the long way home and made the snow drive to I-86






Once we got on 86 the roads were clear and we made good time back to Maryland (even though the "long route" is about 60 extra miles and 1 more hour on the road)

The only other time we ran into the lake effect snow was on I-79 S



By the time we got to Grove City, PA you could see the grass again!


Happy New Year's everyone!  I'm looking forward to all the great things 2012 has in store for us.  My resolutions are coming together nicely, and I'm hoping to announce a big project for 2012 by next week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious of all the snow your family had in NY. Our winter has been unseasonably warm. We've usually had a couple of snow storm by now. Glad you made your trip safely. Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete