Friday, January 11, 2013

Jury Duty


Yes, I heard that collective sigh associated with the thought of serving Jury Duty! 

I had to report to the Montgomery County Circuit Court in Rockville on Tuesday morning.  I spent the entire morning (until about 11:30 a.m.) sitting in the Jury Lounge with ~80 fellow MoCo residents until I was called up to a Court Room to partake in voir dire for a Civil Trial.  I was going crazy just sitting around “waiting” (patience is not my strong suit)….but I was able to crochet up the following:


I’m using Red Heart with Love and one of my favorite crochet stitches for scarves [and dish cloths].  I probably got 12-15 inches completed that morning….but haven’t touched it since.

After 3 hours of voir dire, seven Jury Members were selected out of thirty sitting in the gallery….guess who was number two to be selected?

If you’re stumped as to who you should guess first, I’ll save you the trouble, it was me.  The trail started on Tuesday around 3:45 p.m. with opening statements from both parties.  We resumed with the first witness on Wednesday morning at 9:30 a.m. and weren’t settled in for deliberation until almost 5 p.m.   It was an exhausting couple of days, but yesterday morning as I drove downtown to return to work, I realized how neat it actually was to be a part of this process.  I’m sure this isn’t the last time in my life that I’ll be summoned for Jury Duty, and I do hope that I remember enough of the positives from this week’s experience to not moan and groan too much the next time I’m headed to the Court House!

Anyway, back to “Jury Duty crocheting”.  I selected the scarf above as my take-a-long project to go with these fingerless gloves that I started on Sunday or Monday night.


On my drive home from Rockville on Tuesday night, I stopped by the craft stores I was passing and with the knowledge that I had another day of civic duty ahead of me, I decided a deserved a little “treat”.  I picked up some chunky baby yarn that I loved the colors of, and started a “spring” accessory


I started with a chain of 50 [I think], and it wasn’t until I laid it out this morning to photograph that I realized decided that it’s not wide enough for what I was envisioning….I haven’t decided yet if I have it in me to frog 2 nights of work and start over!

Anyway, I hope everyone had a great first full week of 2013 and that you all have at least one fun thing planned for the weekend!  I will be spending most of my weekend finishing the pick-up/put away routine for the mess known as the month before Christmas/traveling for the holidays, and working around what I hope isn’t too big of a mess being left in our Master bedroom due to a water leak that’s lead to 20 feet of pipe in 3 apartments (us, the one above us and the one below us) being replaced…leaving a giant hole in my bedroom wall, and half of my bedroom and bed covered in plastic!

I’m positive that I’ll still find some time for “fun” and will continue to work on the MANY half-finished crochet and sewing projects littering our living/dining room space!

Here’s hoping for a crafty re-cap on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment