Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Love/Hate Relationship

I realized yesterday, that I have a love/hate relationship I have with Mondays.

I mean, it's Monday.  I'm sorry, but no one in the right mind is excited that the weekend's over and you have to go back to work right?  I always dread when the weekend is over.  This Monday (yesterday) felt extra hard - I had a wonderful weekend with both Jonathan and our friends, it was cold and rainy, and I started to feel like I was getting sick.  

I hate Mondays.

Then sometime after lunch I started thinking about finding the energy to cook dinner when I got home (it was a metro home night, which I always dread).  Then I found the silver lining to "crappy, the weekend's over, it's cold and rainy Monday" - Monday nights mean DWTS and Smash!!!!  The only reality TV shows/competitions that we (and by we I mean I insist on watching and Jonathan either sits in the same room 90% ignoring it, or reads in the other room) watch are DWTS and SYTYCD, but they are the perfect kind of TV show to crochet to in my book:

  • Do you hands tend to cramp up if you crochet for too long?  You'll likely set your work down to enjoy the performances on these shows - win!
  • Hate all the commercials when watching TV shows in "real time"?  Those commercials are the perfect time to put your head down and really do some crocheting.  Even count, or read a pattern as need be.  I find this the best time for weaving in ends as I go on a larger project too - breaks up the worst part of crocheting - win!
  • This is also great, if you're like me and don't sit down and relax until your favorite TV show comes on, and you then find yourself asleep on the couch around 8 p.m. and then wide awake around 2 a.m. because your body mind decides you've gotten all the sleep you usually get, so your good (not)  Since Smash is on from 10-11, I definitely need to keep crocheting during this one or I'm asleep.  My hand was bothering me last night so I stopped crocheting, and right on cue, I fell asleep 10 minutes before the episode was over!  Good thing I've learned to record these shows regardless if I'm watching then in real time - I can always delete as soon as they're over!
3 hours of TV on a Monday night means I always get lots crocheted.  Too bad I forgot to take a picture of my blanket's progress!  I blame this on having to get up and be out the door by 6:20 this morning to go to the MVA's emissions station when it opened at 7 and still be to work at 8:30.  One more reason to dislike any version of the DMV (it's called the MVA in Maryland...)

I do believe I've created a new Monday night tradition over the past 2 weeks:

Veggie Pizza Night!!!

Turned out MUCH better than last week's.  Here's why:


  1. I took the time to saute everything separately as you can see above*.  Not only was I able to focus my seasonings per vegetable, but the end result was much prettier :-)  Obviously prettier means tastier!
  2. To avoid making them too spicy this week, I added the red pepper flake to the onions while they were sauteing.  I used some "Pizza Pasta" spices that I have in a grinder from Sam's Club on top of the Ranch dressing.
Basically, they were awesome.
* Yes, I know that the plate with the Summer Squash on it is missing my Corelle pattern, but that's only because my Grannie picked that plate up at a local flea market and it's the same size as our "pre-wedding" dishes!

I think that next Monday morning, if I stop and think about the Veggie Pizza, Red Wine, DWTS/Smash and crocheting in my evening's future, I just might be able to get out of bed a little easier........oh not ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I love my evenings watching TV and crocheting - it's the best time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like to crochet and watch tv, though I still can't crochet without looking at what I'm doing, so it's not real easy for me. I like the veggie pizza changes you made. :)

    ReplyDelete