Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday!

I have started, and saved more half-finished posts than ever before, including:
  • Christmas gifts (now that I've gifted all of them)
  • Inaugural/Valentine’s crocheting
  • Custom Orders
  • Baby Blankets
  • PINK
It would probably make the most sense for me to FINISH the posts I’ve started before writing something new.  Yet here I am writing and posting about my Super Bowl crocheting instead!

Anyone who knows us knows that Jonathan and I are not “football people” (we’re more, West Wing, Downton Abby, Harry Potter, Disney World people!)  For those of you who don’t know us personally, my lack of discussion regarding, basically all sports should have been your first clue J

On that note, we do typically watch the Super Bowl every year.  Mostly for the commercials and Halftime Show.  Usually by kickoff we’ve selected which of the teams we plan to root for as well (it’s been a looooooooooooooong time since the Bills made it to the Super Bowl so each year we pick our favorite of the “last two standing”)

This year Jonathan and I were both rooting for Baltimore (yea Ravens!!)  My Uncle Warren lived in Baltimore for ~35 years and I used to visit with my family each spring.  Jonathan and I also just marked our 8th Anniversary of living in DC – just one hour away (depending on the traffic!) from Baltimore. Add into the mix that Jonathan is current student teaching in Columbia, Maryland; about halfway between DC and Baltimore.  From the sounds of it last week, he’s in the middle of “Ravens country” and everyone was very excited for their team to be in the Super Bowl.  It goes without saying that Jonathan wore purple to work both Friday and today.

To me, the Super Bowl also means two other things:
Fun foods that we usually don’t eat
It’s time to pick my “Super Bowl craft”

First, the food.  I found this recipe online quite a few weeks ago, and thankfully cauliflower seems to have good staying power in the fridge (at least this cauliflower did!), cause it’s taken us a few weeks more to make it!  I’ve even seen a few FB friends making something similar since I originally found the recipe.  No, it’s not the same as wings, but it was sooooooooooo yummy on its own that I definitely did NOT care.    You really can’t go wrong with anything covered in Frank’s and blue cheese, right?  Jonathan even declared (through my Instagram-filtered FB uploaded picture) that “he would only be eating vegetables in buffalo wing form from now on.”  I’m [fairly] certain he was joking ;-) Definitely will be making this again!


For the crafting, I had planned to start a new “Super Bowl project” for the night – I was thinking of a new pattern that would be great for custom orders/ETSY.  I picked up my current order to just work on for a bit before kickoff….then, once I realized that I was crocheting purple, I felt that I would be jinxing things to put it down!  Here’s my progress as of this morning:


I realized last night that I can’t crochet as quickly during the Super Bowl as I can during other TV – you actually want to watch the commercials!!  Even if we’re using our Roku or watching a movie, it doesn’t require me to look at the screen as frequently as football and Super Bowl commercials!

Speaking of Super Bowl commercials – what was everyone’s favorite(s)?  I did not think there were as many good/funny ones as in years past (I still have the Go Daddy one burned onto my retinas…not funny – painfully gross), but did giggle throughout following:




I fell asleep at the end of the 3rd quarter, waking up with 5:30 left of the 4th quarter, so I missed this next one last night.  They showed it on the Today show this morning as one of the top 5, and while it seemed little long during the recap, by the end I found it hilarious!!


Leave me a comment if I’m missing a good one, or let me know if you agree!

Lastly, I have to make a quick comment about the power outage….I mean come on, I really thought all GREAT nights included a power outage!!!


If only we had the manpower of the NFL fixing our power outage on August 6, 2011!



NAH, I wouldn't really change that night for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment