Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Who's excited????!?!?!?!?!

THIS GIRL!  

This morning by 10:02 a.m. I was printing out confirmation for purchased tickets to see IDINA MENZEL at Wolf Trap this August!  Tickets don't publicly go on sale until Saturday morning, but thanks to my obsessive Facebook habit, I happened to see on my wall last night that if I was an FB fan (duh, of course I am) I could use the code on the status update to purchase tickets this morning at 10 a.m.!!!!

Conveniently, the concert is on Friday, August 3rd - the PERFECT way in my mind to kick off our 1 year Wedding Anniversary weekend!!!  This also meant that my totally awesome and extra sweet husband let me purchase the more expensive front orchestra seats :-D  We will be sitting front and center - row E to be exact and I was honestly bouncing in my chair for a good 20 min this morning.  Extremely professional at work, I know.

Who is Idina Menzel you may ask?  Well first, I'm going to try and not give you the stink eye through my computer.  Have you ever heard of the musical Rent, or Wild Party, or Aida, or Wicked, or the movie Rent, or the very popular TV show Glee?  Maybe you saw a glimpse of her fushcia dress on PBS over the past week or so while channel surfing.....still nothing?  sigh - please read here and here

Hopefully you'll enjoy these videos - I do have a bit of a girl crush on her these days (and her husband isn't bad looking either! LOL)

Anyway, we went 2 summers ago to see her at Wolf Trap with $20 lawn tickets.  In the past we've loved going to see shows sitting on the lawn with a bottle of wine and snacks under a summer night star filled sky.  You typically need binoculars if you really want to see what's going on down on the stage, but it's fun none the less.  Well neither of us could have anticipated how CRAZY packed the place was when Idina performed with the National Symphony Orchestra with Marvin Hamlisch conducting!  Seriously, packed is an understatement, we were practically sitting in the parking lot!



Regardless of how little I was actually able to see, and how HORRIBLY hot and humid it stayed that summer night in July it was an AMAZING experience.  I remember leaving there that night thinking I’d never forget that night – after all it’s the kind of a “life changing” experience for a Musical Theatre junky like myself (similar to when I was Bernedette Peters in "Annie Get Your Gun" on Broadway my junior year of high school.  That night as Ms. Peters took her curtain call and the whole audience was on their feet I had my“ah ha” moment where I KNEW theatre was what I wanted to do with my life.  And no, the fact that I didn’t end up persuing a Professional Theatre career after my college training does not bother me, and I regret nothing.  The fact that I had to move home after graduation was meant to happen – after all Jonathan and I started dating just 3 months later).  Anyway, seeing something this amazing perform in person is still one of those life changing experiences and I’m 99% positive I will cry more than once that night (Jonathan, fair warning ;-)  I laughed when you proposed, but this I’ll cry over! LOL)  I actually texted Jonathan this morning saying "Our engagement, the wedding and trips to DISNEY are the only things that made me happier than I am right now :-)"


If you've enjoyed the videos so far - I leave you with a few singles off of her albums



And her husband filling in during a performance of "Wicked"


2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of her until now - she sings beautifully. Thanks for not giving me the stink eye (I had to laugh at that). Have a great time at her concert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Idina. Always have. Is she singing with her hubs Taye in that last video? So awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete